You are responsible for reviewing the complete George Brown College Academic Policies, Guidelines and Codes of Conduct. You can access this information online or at a campus Library Learning Commons.
* Personal cheques are not accepted for replacement certificates/diplomas or transcripts.
- You should attend the first class as scheduled unless you hear otherwise. You can also confirm that your course will begin as scheduled by visiting our website and checking the web page for your specific course.
- George Brown College reserves the right to cancel or suspend courses, change start/end dates, change start/end times, combine classes, change teachers or limit enrolment. Course calendar accuracy may be affected as a result. However, the college makes every effort to ensure the classes listed online are provided as scheduled.
- Every effort is made to make the decision to cancel a course no later than two business days prior to the course start date.
- Every effort is made to notify you of any cancellations or changes no later than one business day prior to the course start date. Please try to register no later than five business days prior to the course start date to ensure that there is adequate time for us to notify you of any cancellations or changes.
- Be sure to include your home and business telephone numbers and your email address when you register so that you can be reached in the event of any cancellations or changes.
- In the case of a cancellation, any fees paid will be refunded. (At this time, refunds can only be made by cheque; refer to Refunds.) If you would prefer, you may apply your fees to another course registration (refer to Transfers). There is no administrative fee to transfer from a cancelled course to an active course.
- If your course has been cancelled, you will receive a full refund.
- If you want to withdraw from a course, you must withdraw officially (refer to Withdrawals). If you withdraw prior to the day of the first scheduled class, you will receive the full refund less a $20 administrative fee. If you withdraw up to ten business days (including the first scheduled day of class) after the course start date, you will receive the full refund less 50% of the materials fee and a $20 administrative fee. If you withdraw later than ten business days (including the first scheduled day of class) after the course start date, you will not receive a refund.
- Refunds are not given for one-day courses or courses of 12 hours or fewer or courses that end after fewer than ten business days (including the first scheduled day of class) unless you officially withdraw ten business days before the start of the course (refer to Withdrawals).
- The materials fee will not be refunded when the course fee indicates that the materials are nonrefundable or in the case of the technical training certificates.
- As of the time of this printing, refunds can only be made by cheque, regardless of your method of payment. (Please allow four weeks for processing and mail delivery of refund cheques. Additionally, please ensure that the college has your current address. If you ask to have a duplicate cheque printed, you will be charged a $20 administrative fee. To learn how to update your address, refer to Student Account.) However, because of technical upgrades expected to take place during the 2012–13 academic year, this policy may change. Check the Continuing Education home page for updates.
- Transfers are considered a withdrawal from the first course and a registration in the second. Full fees apply for the second course chosen. All requests to transfer must be made in writing and must be accompanied by a new registration form and the payment of any difference in cost between the courses. Your request to transfer (and related documents/payments) must be submitted in person at a Student Service Centre. Original payments are credited to the new course, and any overpayment is refunded. (As of the time of this printing, refunds can only be made by cheque; refer to Refunds.)
- A request for a course transfer is considered only if it is made before the third scheduled class of the course out of which you wish to transfer and if space is available in the course into which you wish to transfer.
- A $20 administrative fee is charged for each transfer. (There is no administrative fee to transfer from a cancelled course to an active course.)
- Transfers are not allowed on one-day courses or courses of 12 hours or fewer or courses that end after fewer than ten business days (including the first scheduled day of class) unless a written request to withdraw is received by the Student Service Centre ten days before the start of the course.
- If you stop attending your class without officially withdrawing, you will receive a failing grade that will be recorded on your grade report, and you will not receive a refund of fees.
- To withdraw from a course without academic penalty (i.e., a failing grade), you must withdraw officially before 60% of the scheduled classes/ meetings are held. To withdraw officially, you must email your request to withdraw firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your name, your student
ID number, the CRN (Course Registration Number) and the reason for withdrawal. Alternatively, you can withdraw in person at any Student Service Centre.
- For details on the refunds/fees involved with withdrawing, refer to Refunds.